Model RS-3 - Rear Steer Lightning Loader
Great system for high volume route collection. The most advanced and efficient system for collecting trash on the market. Two features that set this unit apart are the ability to drive in reverse from the operator’s station and not needing outriggers for most loading operations.
The Lightning Rear Steer® drives behind, and loads into separate haul trucks from a single lane. To learn more about the Lightning Rear Steer®, click on the “Watch a Video” tab below.
- Twin mechanical joystick controls
- Operator cab has air-conditioning, heat, air-ride seat and windshield wipers
- Operator cab also features all normal driving controls for driving backwards; brakes, acceleration, horn, etc.
- 20 ft. boom reach includes 4 ft. telescopic extension
- Large counter-weight and suspension locks add stability for loading
- Counterbalance valves on all boom cylinders for safety
NO EXPOSED GEARS
TELESCOPIC TIP EXTENSION
SINGLE POINT OF RESPONSIBILITY
SAFETY LOCKING VALVES
NO HOSES BELOW BUCKET ROTATOR
|RUBBER TIRES (**)||OUTRIGGERS EXTENDED|
|RADIUS||OVER SIDE||OVER REAR||OVER SIDE||OVER REAR|
|10||4290 lbs||5475 lbs||5916 lbs||7960 lbs|
|16||1789 lbs||3053 lbs||3026 lbs||4960 lbs|
|20||1433 lbs||2560 lbs||2261 lbs||4100 lbs|
Weight of attachment to be subtracted from lift capacities. Standard Trash bucket weighs 960 lbs.
Radii are measured in feet from the center of rotation to the center of the bucket.
Safe working load with outriggers extended and machine on firm level ground does not exceed 85% of vehicle tipping moment.
**Safe working load with outriggers retracted and machine on firm level ground does not exceed 75% of vehicle tipping moment.
|Reach (From Centerline Rotation)||20 feet|
|Main Boom and Tip Boom||16 feet|
|Tip Extension||4 feet|
|Tare Weight (Empty)||21,920 lbs|
|Front Axle Weight||5,340 lbs|
|Rear Axle Weight||16,580 lbs|
All-purpose clamshell design, 4 feet wide with an opened width of 5 feet for large bites. High impact tempered steel used on bucket cutting edges for extended life. Reverse curve shape helps prevent scalping of lawns. Continuous rotation. No hoses below the bucket rotator.
|Body Style||Conventional Cab|
|Front Axle Rating||10,000 lbs|
|Rear Axle Rating||21,000 lbs|
|Gross Vehicle Weight Rating||31,000 lbs|
|Engine||210 HP Diesel|
Productivity increased by not needing to stow bucket between route stops. Two six function mechanical joysticks reduce maintenance compared to traditional designs. Tandem pump allows multiple loader func tions without power loss. When loading, travel speed is restricted. When traveling. loader movements are restricted.
A-frame pedestal design allows flexing under repeated load shocks. Replaceable Cast Nylon bushings
used in head assembly. Head assembly is stress relieved. Reinforced connection points with
hardened pins and replaceable bushings. Safety locking valves used on boom and outrigger cylinders.
Dual Walk-Thru Controls
Greaseless dual controls are operator friendly and maintenance free!
• DUAL CONTROLS: Control platform to be located directly behind conventional cab to allow operator access from the truck cab without ever having to touch the ground. A single bank of control valves to be mounted at the mid-point of loader, with control handles accessible from the operator platform on either side of truck. Control handle pattern must be the same on both sides of the truck for superior visibility. Control handles shall not require lubrication. A “Grip Strut” serrated steel walk platform is included.
QUADSTICK® mechanical controls
Completely mechanical! No high maintenance electronics!
• JOYSTICK (dual walk-thru): Petersen mechanical QUADSTICK® controls. Each of the four joysticks has six functions to control loader operation. Outriggers are controlled by two joysticks at the center of the operator platform. When applicable, body dump is controlled by a single lever at the center of the operator platform.
PATENT #7,353,652 B2
Stationary Top mounted controls
PI Stationary Top Mount controls give the operator a good view into the body for sorting.
• TOP MOUNT: Operator station is located on a stationary platform above the truck cab. The control valves are mounted under the seat, with the control handles between the operator’s legs for easy access. A ladder, safety railing, padded seat with arm rests, and seat belt are provided.
Top mounted joystick controls
Mechanically linked! No high maintenance electronics!
• JOYSTICK (top mount): Two mechanical six function joysticks located on either side of the operator seat control loader operation. Outrigger controls are located to the left of the operator seat.
4x12x12 rubber pads mounted on bottoms of outrigger feet help prevent outriggers from causing damage to curbs etc.
All purpose trash grapple
Petersen’s trash bucket is actuated by a single double-acting cylinder and capable of continuous rotation with no need for physical stops. The bucket motor, Model RE, has a 5,500 in. lbs. torque rating. Petersen buckets have the capability to be rolled over on the load without damage to any components, allowing for a maximum load while keeping boom height within acceptable limits. An anti-scalping feature is standard and advantageous for jobs requiring increased precision (ex: sidewalk removal).
The bucket also incorporates:
- 3/16″ plate, smooth steel clamshell scoop for leaves and sand
- End plates minimum of 5/8″ thick and of A-572 grade 50, 50,000psi steel
- A minimum of 5 ribs per side to handle branches, logs and appliances
- A trample ram in the center for compressing trash in body.
- Replaceable bolt-on bucket blades made of high impact tempered steel
The bucket is 4 ft. long with an opened width of 5 ft. between pickup blades. Anti-scalping bucket sides are pivot mounted to provide a horizontal closing action rather than a vertical digging motion. Sides are mechanically linked to single hydraulic cylinder to ensure both sides close and open together. There are no hydraulic hoses located below bucket rotator.
Crab – front load container attachment
No more chains!
The crab attachment can lift all sizes of standard front loader containers.
Head-Mounted Dual Strobes
Dual strobes mounted on the pedestal head.
Metal guards cover the valve bank and back of head assembly to protect operator on walk thru platform from hydraulic fluid in the case that there is a leak at these connection points.
Hose sleeves also available.
Only on walk-thru type controls.
Double wire braided hose
3/8” 100R2 double wire braided hoses. 4,000 working pressure. 16,000 burst pressure.
Grating Heat Shield for Walk-Thru Controls
Designed to shield operators from the radiant heat produced by the truck. Includes a flap of PVC belting that is bolted to the platform to cover the gap between the chassis cab and the platform, and two overlapping sheets of 18.5 in. wide 14 gauge sheet metal installed below the walking area of the grip strut platform.